Picnic shelters are available for reservation April 1 through October 31. Types of shelters are as follows:
- Legion Park – 2 screened shelter – Max. capacity 75
- Moreland Park – 1 screened shelter – Max. capacity 75
- Ben Hawes Park – 3 open-air shelters – Max. capacity 70 each
The reservation fee is $45 for the first 4 hours; additional hours will be $12 per hour, except Ben Hawes where the fee is $65 per shelter. Payment may be made over the phone with a Visa, MasterCard or Discover Card. They only way to secure a shelter is with payment.
No reservations can be made by voicemail.
All reservations must be made a minimum of 2 weeks in advance.
No changes can be made within 2 weeks of the date of reservation.
No refunds will be given for cancellations made less than 14 days from the date of the event.
There will be a $5 Administrative Charge applied to all refunds.
Reservations are taken for shelters beginning the 1st Monday of November for the upcoming season. Shelters are available for reservation during the hours of 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily. For more information on reservations or inquires about available dates and times, call the Owensboro Parks & Recreation Administrative Center at 270-687-8700 during business hours Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. -4:30 p.m.
When making your reservation, have the following information available:
- Name of Park
- Date (Preference and Secondary Dates)
- Time (Please include set-up and clean-up)
- Type of Event
- Number Expected
- Usage of Inflatables
- Your Name
- Your Mailing Address
- Daytime Phone Number
Shelter Rules and Regulations
- Shelter may be reserved by calling 270-687-8700
- Please clean up after yourselves. Dispose of trash in receptacles.
- Adhere to your shelter reservation hours. If you vacate the shelter early, please inform the parkkeeper.
- You are allowed to bring grills to the park. We ask that you not dump hot coals out anywhere in the park. Please have a grease catch can on your grill. No fryers or grills are allowed inside the shelter or on the concrete next to the shelter. If you bring a grill, the parkkeeper will show you were it can be set up.
- Vehicles are prohibited in the park.
- Portable heaters are prohibited in the shelters.
- Gender reveal confetti cannons and/or smoke bombs are prohibited.
- Sound must be moderate and controlled.
- Alcohol is prohibited in the parks.